LIVE: 12 killed, dozens injured as blast rocks Parachinar

Political administration has declared emergency in all markets and hospitals in nearby areas. AN EXPRESS NEWS SCREENGRAB

Political administration has declared emergency in all markets and hospitals in nearby areas. AN EXPRESS NEWS SCREENGRAB

Political administration has declared emergency in all markets and hospitals in nearby areas. AN EXPRESS NEWS SCREENGRABPolitical administration has declared emergency in all markets and hospitals in nearby areas. PHOTO: AFP

At least 12 people were killed and scores injured in a blast outside an Imambargah, at  Shendak bazaar on Friday, said a local government official.

Initial information revealed that the blast took place outside the Imambargah’s female entrance.

Speaking to The Express Tribune, an eyewitness said that security personnel at the Imambargah were busy checking devotees at the central Imambargah female entrance, when an unidentified person parked a car next to the building, soon after which the explosion occurred.

Over 20 killed in Parachinar vegetable market blast

A parliamentarian from Parachinar, Sajid Hussain, said it was a suicide attack and was preceded by gunfire. “The attack took place in a busy area and a women’s mosque appears to be the target,” he said.

Security officials and rescue teams rushed to the scene and cordoned off the area. No arrests have been made thus far.

The injured were rushed to District Headquarter Hospital in Hangu and Kohat for further treatment, however, the blast was so powerful that the injured were said to be in critical condition, a local paramedical staff told The Express Tribune.

Mumtaz Hussain, a doctor at the local Agency Headquarters Hospital, said five bodies, including a woman and two children, and more than three dozen wounded had been brought to the hospital and an appeal had been issued for blood donors. “Patients are being brought to us in private cars and ambulances and we have received over three dozen patients so far,” Hussain told Reuters.

Military’s media wing ISPR said that a chopper has been dispatched to the blast site to shift the injured to nearby hospitals.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif expressed grief over the blast and condemned the attack. “It is our responsibility to continue the war against terrorists,” he said.

Taking immediate notice of the blast, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar has ordered an inquiry report.

Earlier this year, at least 21 people were killed when an explosion hit a vegetable market in Parachinar, near the border with Afghanistan.

This is a developing story and will be updated accordingly.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login