AIB co-founders asked to ‘step down’ amid sexual harassment allegations

Trouble for All India Bakchod (AIB) arose when an array of allegations against Utsav Chakraborty – a YouTuber who was once associated with AIB – cropped up after a female Twitter user accused him of sexual harassment.According to her, Chakraborty sent nude pictures to older-aged women and harassed girls, including minors, on social media platforms.In light of this, AIB co-founder and CEO Tanmay Bhat was called out for not taking necessary action against complaints about Chakraborty.PHOTO: INDIA.COMReleasing a statement on Monday, AIB said Tanmay and Gursimran have “stepped away” from the collective.“We cannot overlook Tanmay’s role and in light of this he will be stepping away from his association with AIB until further notice,” read a statement from Vidhi Jotwani, AIB’s Head of Human Resources. Tanmay will not be involved with AIB’s day-to-day functioning or in any other matter.Gursimran was accused of sexual misconduct, and has been sent “on a temporary leave until we have more clarity on the matter”, AIB added.A woman claimed that Gursimran had tried getting intimate with her “two-three times, consensually and continued being friends”. However, things escalated when on two separate occasions, Gursimran “repeatedly forced himself on me while we were hanging out”.Gursimran has now denied her claim saying he was “not forceful”. “I am sorry for my bad behaviour and all the hurt it caused her but I categorically deny any violation of consent,” he said. The future of AIB seems to be uncertain with the two key persons being driven out.This comes after the disbanding of Phantom Films, which comprised film-makers Anurag Kashyap, Vikramaditya Motwane, Madhu Mantena and Vikas Bahl.PHOTO: SOCIAL NEWS XYZBahl, director of Queen, was last year named for allegedly assaulting a woman in 2015. With the #MeToo wave on high tide, he is now once again in the centre of controversy. Leading celebrities have spoken up against the harassment that goes behind the glitz and glamour, and how the industry protects the “creeps” by letting complaints go unanswered or unaddressed.Hrithik Roshan, who stars in Bahl’s upcoming Super 30, on Monday urged the movie’s producers to take a “hard stand” if need be.
Hrithik Roshan. PHOTO: HINDUSTAN TIMES“It is impossible for me to work with any person if he/she is guilty of such grave misconduct. I have requested the producers of Super 30 to take stock of the apparent facts and take a hard stand if need be. All proven offenders must be punished and all exploited people must be empowered and given strength to speak up,” Hrithik tweeted.His statement came a day after film-maker Hansal Mehta took an indirect dig at Hrithik, questioning who is empowered – “the victim of the creep” or when a “major star” has acted in Bahl’s film.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login