The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) rubbished on Thursday reports that it had agreed to a federal government proposal to reestablish military courts for two years.
“PPP has not agreed to the draft legislative proposals prepared by the government for the revival of military courts,” a statement said.
Reports in a section of the media about the PPP having agreed are not correct and are contradicted, it added.
“PPP totally and roundly rejects any statement purportedly issued by any official agency creating a false and erroneous impression of the party having agreed to the draft proposals of the government.”
Earlier on Thursday, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar termed a two-year extension in military courts’ tenure imperative to address the issue of terrorism in the country. He hoped that the PPP would accept the government’s decision regarding the duration of military courts.
“It is a national issue which will be resolved with the consensus of all political parties including the PPP,” he said, adding the whole nation wanted to see the country’s leadership united against terrorism. The remarks came following a fresh round between the parliamentary forces in connection with the courts.
Further, Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Vice Chairman Shah Mehmood Qureshi claimed today that the PPP had withdrawn some of its recommendations, saying a consensus was developed in this regard.
On Monday, PPP co-Chairman Asif Ali Zardari said they were not against military courts, but have advised extension in their tenure for a year. “We are carrying out consultations on the issue,” he added.
The military courts were established through the 21st Constitutional Amendment after the December 2014 attack on Army Public School in Peshawar which left 150 people, mostly children, dead.