BEIRUT: Syria’s government has reached a deal for the army to enter a rebel-held area near Damascus and restore the capital’s water supply, the provincial governor said on Wednesday.
Opposition sources denied there was any such deal, but a source inside the Wadi Barada region reported several hundred civilians were leaving under an agreement.
State news agency SANA also reported people were leaving the region, among them several dozen fighters.
The reported deal comes after weeks of fighting in the region, 15 kilometres north-west of Damascus, which has threatened a fragile truce in place since Dec 30.
The fighting has damaged water infrastructure and left some 5.5 million people in the capital and its suburbs facing water shortages, according to the UN.
Damascus provincial governor Alaa Ibrahim told SANA there was now a deal to allow the government to retake control of the region.
“The agreement that was reached in principle requires the militants to give up their heavy weapons and for non-local militants to leave the area of Wadi Barada,” he said.
“Then the Syrian Arab Army will enter the area to clear it of mines and bombs to prepare for the entry of maintenance teams … to fix the damage caused to the water pumps and pipes by the terrorists’ attacks.”
But Ahmed Ramadan, an official with the opposition National Coalition, denied any such deal had been reached. “This information is untrue and is a part of the [regime and its allies] psychological warfare,” he said.
Jan 23 peace talks
Fighting has continued in Wadi Barada despite the start of a truce brokered by regime ally Russia and rebel backer Turkey in late December.
The ceasefire is intended to pave the way for new peace talks in the Kazakh capital Astana, which Russia confirmed on Wednesday were scheduled for Jan 23.
“At this time there is no indication that the meeting will be postponed. The date of Jan 23 is set,” a source in the foreign ministry said.
He added that work was underway to compile a list of participants.
A Russian diplomatic source said on Wednesday the talks would be held between the regime and rebels only, with the political opposition excluded for the first time.
Regime ally Iran is also helping to organise the talks, which are the latest bid to find a political solution to the nearly six-year-old civil war that has killed more than 310,000 people.
But Turkey and the rebels have warned the ongoing fighting in Wadi Barada could jeopardise the talks in Astana.
And while the truce has brought quiet to large parts of Syria, sporadic violence has continued elsewhere.
On Wednesday, the Observatory reported government air strikes in several parts of the Eastern Ghouta region outside Damascus that killed one person and wounded nine.
And overnight it said air strikes hit rebel-held parts of Aleppo and Idlib province in the north and north-west of the country, killing at least three rebels.